Saturday, June 21, 2008

"Best Program/Group Ever" ... reflections before leaving Cairo

I'm leaving for the Cairo airport in about 18 hours from now.  The students made it safely home to Boston (I know that for sure), and my hope is that they made it safely to their final destinations - Pennsylvania, New York, Rhode Island, Western Mass., New Jersey, Alaska (yes, one from Alaska!), and wherever else they had to go.  Before I leave the country, and get back to the craziness of NU summer activities - freshmen orientation starts Tuesday; tinkering with budgets for this program and for the year ahead; etc. - I want to reflect quickly on this program.

First, this group is easily the "best group ever"!  Yes, I do tell all groups that they are the best, and in this case it is easy to say categorically that they are the best group I have ever brought to Cairo.  One completely personal reason is that my daughter was here for the entire length of time, and her sister joined us half-way through the program for a brief period of time, so as a father, this group was above and beyond all others!  Second, this group was the largest group I have ever brought here, so by shear "weight" (and height, given all the very tall students we had here!), i.e., by "volume", this group was the "best".  Third, my goal of getting students from "non-traditional programs" (i.e., beyond the Arts & Sciences) to Egypt was achieved - 11 Engineering students and their amazing professor (Dr. Mo Taslim), at least one business student, one from criminal justice, plus many other disciplines beyond political science, history, middle east studies, and international affairs joined us (psychology, linguistics, music). Fourth, the "dialogues" were great successes, even more than ever.  The Egypt Dialogue was a huge success, thanks to Fulbright Commission and the wonderful Egyptian students they brought plus of course our own students' commitment "to dialogue"; plus the Arab Dialogue in Abu Dhabi was a truly amazing experience, thanks to the Arab Women's Organization and H.H. Sheikha Fatma.  Fifth, Cynthia was her typically amazing self - organized, patient, supportive, and knowledgeable about Egypt and our students and their needs.   And finally, this group was so amazing.  They were "troopers" as I've said all along -- including when we were semi-stranded in the middle of the Sahara desert enroute to Siwa!  99% of the group got along, went along, and grabbed all the gusto that Egypt and the program offered them.  

All in all, the intellectual diversity of this group, the family connection :-) , and the overall "chemistry mix" of personalities, makes me one very proud professor.

Yalla ("let's go") ... let's start planning 2009 and see if that yet-to-be-determined group can attempt to rival this year's!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First I have to say that it was wonderful to be able to surprise them all at the airport and need to share lol. I hid behind a column and April had her back to me as she was speaking to me on her dad's cell phone. The look on Grace and Bridget's face as I walked out from behind that column with a single peach rose was priceless. I put my finger to my mouth to ask them to be quiet so she wouldn't know that I was there. I handed her the rose from behind and then walked in front of her and told her she could hang up the phone now and she was so shocked to see that I wasn't in work. The hugs and kisses from
Grace, Alyssa, Bridget and of course April felt wonderful. It was great to have them home. Now on to the Reflection...


I can understand how proud you were to share this wonderful time with your daughters, especially Grace who was with you for the duration.

In reading April-Rose's Reflection I can't help but have tears formed in my eyes for how proud of her I am. To see in words her most intimate thoughts of what she has felt and learned on this trip is just bursting my heart with such pride. These young adults have been transformed forever and I do hope that they hold all of what this close to their hearts always.

Jo-Ann Peshniak

samer abughazaleh said...

Denis, it is the best group ever, because you are the best professor ever.

You are building bridges between nations much better than any government can do. All the respect for your efforts. If more professors do that, we will achieve peace through knowledge, and end the war of the blind.